283 Intro Concepts Math Fall17
Description: Intro Concepts of Mathematics.
Class schedule: MWF 8:30-9:20AM in Armstrong 315
Office hours: Mondays 9:30-11AM, Fridays 4:00-5:00PM, and by appointment, in Armstrong Hall 305B
Info sheet containing more or less the stuff on this webpage.
Textbooks and resources
Useful free resources:
- 30% Final exam on Friday December 8 2017, 5-7PM in Armstrong Hall room 315
- 40% Two midterm exams (2x20%)
- 20% Quizzes
- 10% Homework assignments
- Letter grades will be assigned according to the scheme
- A 90-100% | B 80-90% | C 70-80% | D 60-70% | F 0-60%
- There will be six 10-minute quizzes (one every two weeks); best five will count towards your grade.
- Quizzes will test the material covered during the previous two weeks.
- No make-up quizzes will be given.
- Homework will be assigned once every two weeks, and due two weeks later (please see the course schedule below for exact dates).
- Your best five homework papers will count towards the final grade.
- Late turn-ins will not be accepted.
- There will be two 50-minutes in-class midterm exams, on February 16 and March 18.
- Midterm exams will test material covered after the previous midterm (they are not cumulative).
- Calculators will not be allowed.
- Friday December 8 2017, 5-7PM in Armstrong 315.
- Final is cumulative.
Course Schedule (updated as we go along)
|Aug 16||Introduction; Statements||1.1||Evaluation Test|
|Aug 18||Definitions; Statements||1.2|
|Aug 21||Logical operators; conditional statements||2.1-2.2|
|Aug 25||Predicates, quantifiers||2.3-2.4||HW1 due|
|Aug 28||Negation of quantifiers||2.4|
|Sep 8||Induction||4.1||HW2 due|
|Sep 18||Induction - review|
|Sep 20||Midterm 1|
|Sep 22||HW3 due|
|Oct 6||HW4 due|
|Oct 20||Midterm 2|| Midterm 2 solutions|
|Nov 3||HW6 due|
|Nov 17||HW7 due|
|Dec 8||Final exam 5-7PM in Armstrong Hall 315|
Where does your score stand?
The West Virginia University community is committed to creating and fostering a positive learning and working environment based on open communication, mutual respect, and inclusion. If you are a person with a disability and anticipate needing any type of accommodation in order to participate in this class, please advise me and make appropriate arrangements with the Office of Accessibility Services (293-6700). For more information on West Virginia University's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, please see http://diversity.wvu.edu.