Description: Elementary Differential Equations.
Class schedule: TR 4:00-5:50PM in Armstrong 117
Office hours: Tuesday 10-11AM, Thursdays 1-2PM, in Armstrong Hall 305B
Info sheet containing more or less the stuff on this webpage.
Textbooks and resources
Useful free resources:
Linear algebra notes
- 30% Final exam on Tuesday Dec 15 2015, 8-10AM in Armstrong Hall room 117
- 40% Two midterm exams (2x20%)
- 20% Quizzes
- 10% Homework assignments
- Letter grades will be assigned according to the scheme
- A 90-100% | B 80-90% | C 70-80% | D 60-70% | F 0-60%
- There will be six 10-minute quizzes (one every two weeks); best five will count towards your grade.
- Quizzes will test the material covered during the previous two weeks.
- No make-up quizzes will be given.
- Homework will be assigned once every two weeks, and due two weeks later (please see the course schedule below for exact dates).
- Your best five homework papers will count towards the final grade.
- Late turn-ins will not be accepted.
- There will be two 80-minutes in-class midterm exams, on September 22 and November 3.
- Midterm exams will test material covered after the previous midterm (they are not cumulative).
- Calculators will not be allowed.
- Tuesday Dec 15 2015, 8-10AM in Armstrong 117.
- Final is cumulative.
Course Schedule (updated as we go along)
|Tuesday, Aug 18||Introduction||1.1||Evaluation Test|
|Thursday, Aug 20||Solving equations; types of equations||1.2, 1.3|
|Tuesday, Aug 25||Linear ODEs. Integrating factors||2.1|
|Thursday, Aug 27||Separable ODEs||2.2|
|Tuesday, Sep 1||Some models||2.3, 2.5|
|Thursday, Sep 3||Linear homogeneous equations. Constant Coefficients||3.1-3.3||HW1 due|
|Tuesday, Sep 8||Constant Coefficients. Mechanical vibrations||3.4, 3.7.|
|Thursday, Sep 10||Method of the undetermined coefficients||3.5||Quiz1|
|Tuesday, Sep 15||Variation of parameters. Review||3.6|
|Thursday, Sep 17||Review||HW2 due|
|Tuesday, Sep 22||Midterm Exam||Solutions|
|Thursday, Sep 24||Power series||5.1||Quiz2|
|Tuesday, Sep 29||Series solutions near ordinary points||5.2|
|Thursday, Oct 1||Series solutions near ordinary points||5.3||HW3 due|
|Tuesday, Oct 6||Euler equations, regular singular points||5.4|
|Thursday, Oct 8||Review of matrices||7.2||Quiz3|
|Thursday, Oct 15||Linear independence, Eigenvalues, eigenvaectors||7.3|
|Tuesday, Oct 20||Intro to systems of first order linear equations||7.1|
|Thursday, Oct 22||Systems of first order linear equations||7.4||Quiz4|
|Tuesday, Oct 27||Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients||7.5|
|Thursday, Oct 29||Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients||7.6||HW4 due|
|Tuesday, Nov 3||Midterm Exam|
|Thursday, Nov 5||Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients||7.8||Quiz5|
|Tuesday, Nov 10||Homogeneous linear systems with constant coefficients||7.9|
|Thursday, Nov 12||Laplace Transform||6.1||HW5 due|
|Tuesday, Nov 17||Laplace Transform||6.2|
|Thursday, Nov 19||Laplace Transform||6.3||Quiz6|
|Tuesday, Dec 1||Laplace Transform||6.4, 6.5|
|Thursday, Dec 3||Review||HW6 due|
|Tuesday, Dec 8|
|Tuesday, Dec 15||Final Exam - 8AM-10AM, ARM 112|
Where does your score stand?
The West Virginia University community is committed to creating and fostering a positive learning and working environment based on open communication, mutual respect, and inclusion. If you are a person with a disability and anticipate needing any type of accommodation in order to participate in this class, please advise me and make appropriate arrangements with the Office of Accessibility Services (293-6700). For more information on West Virginia University's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives, please see http://diversity.wvu.edu.